Certified Copies of Birth Records
A certified copy of a birth record may only be requested by the individual named on the record, provided they are at least 16 years old or the mother or father named on the record. If you are not one of these three individuals listed above, you may not request a certified copy of a birth record unless:
1) You submit a court order requiring our office to issue a certified copy to you; or
2) You submit other legal documentation listing you as an authorized representative of the individual named on the birth record; or
3) You submit our notarized authorization form, signed by one of the three individuals listed above granting you permission to request a copy.
If you are requesting a birth record for an individual that is deceased, you must:
1) Be an immediate relative of the deceased individual; (i.e. parent, child, grandparent, grandchild) or
2) Be an authorized representative acting on behalf of the deceased individual; and
3) Submit a certified copy of their death record if the death did not occur in North Dakota.
You must submit one of the following forms of identification with your order or your order CANNOT BE PROCESSED!
1. State Government issued Photo ID or Driver's License
2. Bureau of Indian Affairs issued tribal ID card
3. US Government issued Military ID card
4. US Government issued Passport or Visa
5. US Government issued Permanent Resident Card
If you do not have one of the prior forms of identification, you must provide a legible photocopy of two of the following:
1. Social Security Card
2. Utility bill with current address (can not be more than 3 months old)
3. Bank statement with current address (can not be more than 3 months old)
4. Pay stub (must include your name, SSN and the name and address of your employer)
5. Car registration with current address (for the current registration year)
6. IRS Tax Return (from the prior year)
If you cannot provide any of these forms of identification or if you have any other questions related to these requirements, please call our office at (701) 328-2360 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org .
|Fee for the every certified copy of a birth record:||
|U.S. Postal Service First Class Mail (Default)||
|Federal Express (Priority Overnight)|
|UPS (Next Day Air)|
You will be required to upload a document that satisfies your identification requirement listed above.
Mail -- DO NOT SEND CASH --
- You must mail a copy of your Photo ID with the request form or your order CANNOT BE PROCESSED!
- Download and completely fill out request form ( Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader )
- Make checks and/or money order payable to: ND Department of Health
- Mail completed request form to:
Division of Vital Records
600 E. Boulevard Ave. - Dept. 301
Bismarck, ND 58505-0200
- Remember to bring a copy of your Photo ID with you or your order CANNOT BE PROCESSED!
- We are located in room 118 in the Judicial Wing of the State Capitol Building in Bismarck, ND.
- You can stop by our office between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:45 pm CST. Monday - Friday except for holidays.
- Walk in customers can usually get their certified copy with in a few minutes after filling out the request form in our office.